The following requirements of the law must be met to be a supervising driver:
- are at least 21 years old
- have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 3 years for the type of vehicle they are supervising in i.e. manual/auto (From countries within the EU and the EEC)
- ensure the car is in a safe and legal condition
- meet the minimum eyesight standards
- ensure the car displays L plates
The supervising driver does not have to be insured on the vehicle; neither do they have to be the vehicle owner.